Saturday, June 7, 2014

Restlessly Eager

People keep telling me that I am an 'impatient do-er' and that I 'get things done'.  Someone even once told me that I was a bulldozer.  As in I would bulldoze anyone over to get to the end goal.  It is something when people keep telling you the same things over and over again - it really makes you listen.  Lately it has been either the same person telling me multiple times or multiple people giving me a rendition of: "you are impatient but you do stuff."

I am impatient.  I do stuff.  I am impatient and I get stuff done.  I am impatient and I strive for excellence.  I am impatient and I want the very best from others and I want the very best for others.  I am impatient and sometimes there is just no place for standing back and watching something not happen.

People also keep telling me that being impatient is probably one of my worst qualities.  That being impatient is something I should change, work on, fix.  I wholeheartedly, stubbornly, don't agree.  I don't want to fix my impatience.  While I don't want to be rude or unkind (or anything like definition #1 above) - and I am daily practicing the art of extending grace to friends or strangers (and accepting it from others over and over again) - I don't ever want to be patient when it comes to the things that matter.

I value definition #2.  I am restlessly eager.  I am restless when it comes to seeing 'Your will be done, on earth, as it is in heaven'.  I am hopeful when it comes to community work.  I am dedicated to the things I pursue - training, career, God, church.  If you choose to do something - why wouldn't you not pursue it impatiently?

Do I ever have to wait? Yes.

Do I ever fail? Yes.

Below is a list of a few of the things I think of, and have always wanted to voice, when people have questioned my impatience.  (Even I sometimes question it).

Practice Impatience - Become Restlessly Eager

1. Don't assume that you aren't ready to do something.  When you wait and wait and you are 'patient with yourself' to become ready it will most likely never happen.  Jump in.  Take the gym class, buy the art supplies for the new etsy shop, take the University night class.  Plan it out strategically and then just do it.  

2. There is no room for patience when it comes to goals.  Hustle hustle hustle.  Your goal isn't going to magically happen if you don't work towards it 'restlessly eager'. 

3. Beat procrastination by doing something in haste.  Cleaning my room takes me about 10 minutes of cleaning and 30 minutes of looking at stuff that I find on my floor.  See where I could practice some impatience with myself? 

4.  Pray and believe that God is already in the works to making it happen before you whisper "Dear...".  In my experience things can happen extremely fast if we have faith and understanding that it's not necessarily us that's making it so.  

5.  Beware of what makes your comfortable.  When I am willing to sit and wait for something to appear or to happen I am very complacent.  I am allowing myself to be comfortable with mediocrity, something not being finished or something not being started.  Being impatient is extremely uncomfortable and I think that's the way it should be.  Beware of what makes you comfortable - the same job, the same people in your life, the same things that never get done over and over again.  There are only a handful of things that should comfort you and being mediocre (or - not doing your best) shouldn't be one of them.   

6.  And possibly the most important aspect of being restlessly eager is to do what you can and then leave the rest.  But 'what you can' is a list that is far greater than you can imagine and that is not a scary thing but a wonderful thing.  What we can do is far far greater than what we assume.  But when it isn't - practice moving on.


Heidi




1 comment:

  1. "I am impatient and sometimes there is just no place for standing back and watching something not happen."

    What a great quote. I can definitely relate to that. Great read!

    ReplyDelete