Monday, June 2, 2014

CSA Box: Stinging Nettle Pesto


I had a bag of stinging nettles in my crisper for a week or so from my vegetable CSA box.  I was nervous to try and make something with it to be honest.  I imagined getting welts and sores in my mouth and down my throat while eating it.  But - I finally did it!  Apparently all you have to do is boil (or freeze?) the leaves and the sting (whatever it is) goes away!  The water from boiling them turned very brown (does this happen with spinach?) and it was really funky smelling.  After boiling for 5 minutes or so I added it to Parmesan, pine nuts and garlic.  I added quite a bit of olive oil.  Add less for a paste for breads and more for a sauce for noodles. 

Noodles can never really look that appetizing, can they?

Heidi




No comments:

Post a Comment