Thursday, January 30, 2014

Cost of Food: Artichoke & Lemon Chicken w/ Capers

I have always been interested in the cost of my food.  How much does cooking my own food really save me?  How much am I wasting by buying $9 burrito bowls at Habaneros?  Are some recipes just extremely extravagant that I shouldn't even bother with them?

Since I bought a pile of groceries today after moving in to my new space I thought it would be the perfect opportunity to see the cost of my dinner tonight.  I pulled out a new recipe book - 21 Day Sugar Detox.  Essentially this book has a lot of low-carb recipes and I wouldn't consider it a traditional 'I-juice-everything-detox' but more of a 'let's-eat-more-vegetables-and protein' detox.

I bought all the ingredients for 'Artichoke & Lemon Chicken with Capers'.  A google search of this exact recipe will give you countless very similar recipes if you didn't necessarily want to purchase 21DSD.  The version I have is great, since it is a one pot (or pan) creation.

The dinner was delicious and it included a rather tasty roasted dandelion tea - I recommend the drink at least!

Capers are a bit too salty for my liking but I am a huge artichoke fan.  While buying the ingredients for this dish I actually bought one of the jars of marinated artichoke hearts - which I will most likely consume straight from the container.  I added a classic Heidi Salad to the side: greens, balsamic vinegar, and cherry tomatoes cut in half with kitchen scissors.  Trying to cut them while holding them in my hand really is the fun part.


The breakdown:

Chicken thighs - $6.10
Lemon (3) - $2.69
Artichoke - $3.49
1/2 Red Onion - $.99
Capers - $2.79
Olive oil - not calculated
Greens - not calculated
Tomatoes - not calculated

Total cost represents one plate, this recipe made enough for two.

Total Cost: $8.03


I'm not sure what I think of the price.  Is it typical of most meals I consume?  Can I eat cheaper without sacrificing taste, preparation, or health?


1 comment:

  1. I find the costs go down when you are able to bulk bake and freeze. Otherwise, yes it gets very expensive to eat healthy!

    ReplyDelete